Friday, September 17, 2010

Unicorns



Currently doing some research on the mythology of unicorns. The unicorn has roots in the bible and writings of Greek natural history (apparently the Greeks thought unicorns actually existed). According to Wikipedia, in Medieval times the unicorn horn was believed to stem from the tooth of the narwhal. The narwhal is, of course, a real animal, although it's resemblance to the unicorn does make it seem mystical and more interesting than just a regular whale. Anyway...

The narwhal's horn is not a horn at all, but a tusk stemming from their upper jaw.
What is it that makes unicorns so great? Is it because they are unattainable? Is it because they are beautiful, magical creatures? Do the sparkling .gif animations have something to do with it? Or 1985 Tom Cruise?


I think everything has to do with it. Personally, I find unicorns to be quite dazzling for all of the above reasons. My reason for all this research is because I've suddenly had the urge to begin an installation project involving unicorn horns. Perhaps I'm trying to figure out why I want to use this particular mythological imagery. Perhaps I'm also trying to understand what the imagery means to me. In any case, there are a few things I know for sure: 1. I love mythology and mystical creatures; 2. I love sparkles, glitter, and shiny things; 3. I love a pastel color palette; 4. I love that unicorn horn may translate to sex toy (see below).


(all images via Google.)

No comments:

Post a Comment