Tuesday, February 2, 2010

formspring.me

Do you have an exact, personalized definition of 'success' when it comes to your artwork? by godownmatthew

No, not really. I don't have a formula or a checklist. If I am successful with a piece of my work I have: faced and completed challenges I have given myself; solved unforeseen problems that may have occurred to the best of my ability; and have completed or went beyond my own expectations of myself or the work.

I'm pretty easy to please and I don't place too much pressure on most things I do. When I work I usually have an initial idea or goal, but the fleshing out comes during the process of creating the work. I go with the flow and try to make what I have work. And if it doesn't work, it gets placed to the side and I keep going.

Some pieces are more successful than others not because they are better crafted or more aesthetically pleasing, but because in the end I translated my thoughts more clearly.

This sounds conceited, but I usually like most things I make. I think because I start to actually love them like my own babies.

Ask me anything

No comments:

Post a Comment